Chorionic Gonadotropin is a formulation of hCG that is obtained from the urine of pregnant women since it is secreted by the placenta during pregnancy. It is usually used as a luteinizing hormone replacement.
General product Information About Chorionic Gonadotropin
Chorionic Gonadotropin Contains
Human Choriogonadotropin (hCG)
Chorionic Gonadotropin Product Indications
Chorionic Gonadotropin Injection, USP (hCG) is indicated in males for prepubertal cryptorchidism not due to anatomic obstruction, to induce testicular descent which would have occurred at puberty. Therapy us usually instituted between the ages of 4 and 9. It is also indicated for selected cases of hypogonadism secondary to pituitary deficiency in males.
Chorionic Gonadotropin Injection, USP (hCG) is indicated in females for induction of ovulation and pregnancy after pretreatment with human menotropins.
Chorionic Gonadotropin Dosage and Administration
For stimulation of sperm production in males with hypogonadotropic hypogonadism
- Pretreatment with human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) is required
- Pretreatment with hCG in adult males : 1000-2250 USP units intramuscularly or subcutaneously 2-3 times per week; max dose up to 5000 USP units intramuscularly 3 times per week
- hCG combined w/ menotropins following hCG pretreatment in adult males : 1000-1500 USP units given intramuscular or subcutaneously w/ menotrophins administered every other day or 2000 USP units 2 times per week with menotrophins administered 3 times per week; continue at least 4 months
- hCG combined with follitropin-alpha following hCG pretreatmen t: 1000-1500 USP units administered intramuscularly or subcutaneously 3 times per week in combination with follitropin-alpha; continue for at least 4 months and up to 18 months
For adjunctive therapy in females with infertility due to ovarian failure
- NOTE: hCG should not be given if there is an excessive ovary response
- For induction of ovulation with clomiphene : 5000-10000USP units intramuscularly at appropriate day, usually 3-4 days after the last clomiphene dose
- For induction of ovulation with menotropins or follitropin : 5000-10000 USP units intramuscularly 1 day after the last dose of menotropins or FSH pre-treatment
For luteal phase support in infertile females after completion of typical ovulation induction regimen of FSH/LH (menotropins)
- 2500 USP units intramuscularly 8 days after the initial dose of hCG was given
For induction of oocyte maturation to prepare for harvesting
- FSH is discontinued and administer 5000-10000 USP units of hCG intramuscularly one day after the last dose of FSH; oocyte retrieval should begin 34-36 hours later
Chorionic Gonadotropin Warnings, Side Effects and Potential Drug Interactions
- Contraindicated in patients with benzyl alcohol allergies.
- Use with caution in patients with conditions that are exacerbated by fluid retention.
- Contraindicated in conditions that are exacerbated by hCG such as cancers of the reproductive system, abnormal uterine or vaginal bleeding.
- Pregnancy X category
- Pain and redness at the injection site is common.
- Common side effects: ovarian cyst or hyperstimulation
Chorionic Gonadotropin Storage
Store at room temperature, between 36°-77° F (2°-25° C)
Avoid excessive heat, humidity, and light.
Chorionic Gonadotropin Manufacturer
Approved by the FDA
Federal law restricts prohibits dispensing without prescription.