Follistim (Follitropin, r-FSH) is a recombinant (synthetic) version of human follicle stimulating hormone (FSH). It is indicated for the development of multiple follicles during ovulation for patients having assistance in reproduction. It is used to cause ovulation in patients unable to ovulation with functional infertility.
General Product Information About Follistim
Follistim Product Contains
Follitropin beta, r-FSH
Follistim (Follitropin beta, r-FSH) is a recombinant (synthetic) version of human follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) similar to that found in Gonal-f. Available data tell us the differences between the two versions of the hormone are indistinguishable It is indicated for women undergoing Ovulation Induction Treatment and also for women participating in an Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) program, such as in vitro fertilization.
Follistim Dosage and Administration
NOTE: During FSH treatment and for 2 weeks after treatment, patients need to be checked every day (or every other day) for signs of too much ovarian stimulation.
Induction of ovulation and pregnancy in patients who do not ovulate when infertility is not due to ovarian failure
- Initial dose 50-75 IU subcutaneously once daily for up to 14 days. Dose may be increased by 25-50 IU at weekly intervals. Maximum dose 300 IU/day.
- Response is evident within 5-7 days.
- hCG should be given once sufficient response is shown unless the serum estradiol is greater than 2000 pg/mL.
For the development for multiple follicles in patient¿s participating in assisted reproductive programs
- Initial dose 150-225 IU subcutaneously for at least the first 5 days and then adjust the dose based upon response. Usually 75-300 IU daily for 6-12 days.
- Administer hCG should be administered to retrieve oocyte. Retrieval should occur 34-36 hours later.
- Do not exceed 10 days of therapy.
- Maintainence doses range from 375-600 IU/day if patient is not responding. Maximum dose 600 IU/day.
Follistim Warnings, Side Effects and Potential Drug Interactions
- Discontinue treatment if the ovaries become abnormally enlarged or if abdominal pain occurs and contact your physician.
- Do not use if pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Sexual intercourse is prohibited if ovaries are enlarged.
- Product can exacerbate asthma and other pulmonary conditions.
- May enhance some cancers such as ovarian or breast cancer.
- Store in refrigerator or at room temperature, between 36°-77° F (2°-25° C) for up to 3 months. Once cartridge is pierced, must be stored in refrigerator and used within 28 days.
- Avoid excessive heat, humidity, and light.
- Do not shake.
Schering-Plough Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Approved by the FDA
Federal law restricts/prohibits dispensing without prescription.